Mobile marketing is a way to promote products or services through mobile devices. With this strategy, target consumers access location and time-sensitive customized content that promotes certain products, services, or ideas.
- Why is mobile marketing important?
- Benefits of Mobile Marketing
- Types of Mobile Marketing
- How to Do Mobile Marketing
- Mobile Marketing Strategy
- Mobile Marketing Automation
- Good Mobile Marketing Examples
- Mobile Marketing Best Practices
Mobile marketing refers to all marketing endeavors done via a far-reaching network to which target customers are ever-connected via their mobile devices. As of late 2015, mobile web traffic had exceeded desktop internet use, and the situation has been like so that ever since. To reiterate this: a 2018 survey by Statista concluded that 52.2 percent of online traffic around the globe was generated through smartphones.
Why is mobile marketing important?
- Users spend 89% of their time on mobile apps, making mobile devices dominate communication.
- The overall view and amount of content on mobile devices are simplified due to their smaller size. As mobile devices are smaller and lighter than computers, users can easily carry them everywhere and make purchases at any time they want.
- Mobile hastens the time to purchase by 20 percent.
- Compared to a year ago, 50 percent of smartphone users expect to buy something immediately while using their devices.
- Ninety-one percent of smartphone users plan purchases or buy individual items after seeing relevant ads.
- 2/3 of customers who use smartphones are likely to purchase from businesses that have apps or mobile websites with content customized to their location.
- Forty percent of online transactions occur on mobile devices.
Benefits of Mobile Marketing
Compared to other forms of marketing, mobile marketing has several significant benefits.
- Text messaging is easy and comparatively cheap. If we take traditional advertising methods such as TV ads or printing ads into account, SMS is obviously cheaper. Like ad formats such as PPC or email marketing campaigns, text messages are pretty easy to send and they require no technical skills.
- SMS has a high CTR. Since people consider communicating via their mobile devices more private than emailing for example, they check their phones more often and never ignore messages. Users only share their phone number with their favorite companies, so they are already waiting for your promotions.
- Especially useful for local businesses. Local companies can easily tell their loyal customers about hot deals, the latest arrivals, and special offers via SMS. Clients won’t miss this chance to drop in to check out your offers.
Types of Mobile Marketing
- Mobile app marketing
- In-game advertisements
- Quick-response barcode
- Mobile banner ads
- Proximity or Bluetooth marketing
- Voice marketing
There is a variety of mobile marketing techniques to try for a business. Factors like your budget, specific industry, and customer segment determine the success of the strategy. That said, below are some mobile marketing options:
- Mobile app marketing. Mobile apps allow businesses to include ads in specific mobile application designs. Facebook is an excellent example of ads in an app.
- In-game advertisements. This approach refers to all advertisements on mobile devices that pop up when certain games are opened or in progress. These ads can appear as full-image ads, banner pop-ups, or video ads that show up during loading screens.
- Quick-response barcode (QR codes). These barcodes are scanned using the camera of a phone, and then the customers are redirected to the linked site from where they can see more information regarding a particular brand.
- Mobile banner ads. These banners are pretty much the same as the ones on the desktop, only that they are adequately smaller to fit on the screens of mobile devices.
- Proximity or Bluetooth marketing. With this approach, consumers get location-specific ads enabled from the Bluetooth on their devices.
- Voice marketing. This is when businesses use computer produced and automated calls to promote their goods or services. It is up to the customer to decide whether to hang up or listen to the phone call.
- SMS marketing. This method of mobile marketing is, by far, the most common. Marketers use this medium to reach out to customers with offers and other relevant information via their mobile gadgets.
How to Do Mobile Marketing
- Research your target customers
- Leverage opportunities on social media
- Set goals
- Create mobile-friendly campaigns
- Perform location-based marketing
- Consider the unique features of mobile devices
- Offer incentives
- Research your target customers. A marketer should conduct thorough research on their consumer demographic to gather useful information such as what they like, the sites they visit, the apps they use, and so forth. This information enables the marketer to create effective ads.
- Leverage opportunities on social media. To effectively push a brand, marketers should create great ads that appeal to large numbers of social media users.
- Set goals. Measuring the results and progress of a particular mobile marketing strategy is only possible if the purposes of the campaign are set beforehand.
- Create mobile-friendly campaigns. Since the aim is to push a brand via mobile devices, it makes sense to create content, apps, or websites that are fit for mobile usage.
- Perform location-based marketing. One of the most effective ways of minimizing the bounce rate is by providing ads that are relevant to the target audience. Use tools such as Google Trends, GPS, and apps like Google Local inventory to send out campaigns that resonate with the target demographic.
- Consider the unique features of mobile devices. Create ads that can be manipulated by different mobile device features to make the user’s experience quite memorable. For instance, rather than creating video ads that cannot be paused, one can put up an advertisement that can be paused, rewound, forwarded, and so forth to enable customers to get a clearer picture regarding a product.
- Offer incentives. Providing some rewards or offers will encourage prospective customers to take action.
Now all this can be quite a task. But do not worry. Various Service Providers help promote a brand via mobile marketing strategies.
How to send an SMS campaign
The SMS service allows marketers to send out SMS. Potential customers can try the service for free by signing up after providing their name, email address, and phone number. Service Providers use effective SMS marketing instruments to make the campaign a success. These are:
- Personalization. A marketer can provide the name of the recipients as well as other personal information and send out customized SMS to them bearing the name of their business, discount code, and so forth.
- Segmentation, which is the division of a customer base as per specific criteria.
- Statistics. A marketer can analyze the results of a particular SMS campaign by evaluating stats after the delivery of each message sent.
- API integration. Marketers can use the Service Providers API to integrate SMS messaging with their apps, sites, CRM, or software.
- SMS autoresponders. Service Providers allows users to create an automated flow of messages that contain SMS, email, and web push.
- Subscription forms. Marketers can create SMS subscription forms and proceed to integrate them on their sites.
- Unsubscribe options. A business may send SMS with unsubscribe links to allow customers to opt-out.
Mobile Marketing Strategy
Whether one’s goal is to increase brand visibility or boost customer engagement, a business marketing campaign should include mobile marketing knowledge. Over the years, several brands and companies have invested a lot in creating effective mobile marketing strategies that reach their target audience. Mobile marketing strategies utilize the following channels:
- SMS: a direct text message to a customer’s mobile phone that notifies about the order or delivery status, top offers, sales.
- Push notifications: appear as a pop-up message on apps or websites even if a user was offline at the moment of sending. They are sent to inform about the recent articles on the blog, hot offers, and important updates.
- Email: today, most people open emails on their smartphones, so the importance of optimizing emails for mobile is increasing.
Mobile Marketing Automation
Mobile marketing automation is a way to deal with repetitive marketing tasks. A top-quality mobile marketing automation tool helps businesses engage with their customers and subscribers in real-time.
Good Mobile Marketing Examples
A Marketing SMS Example about a discount offer
A personalized Sale/discount message offer
Mobile Marketing Best Practices
What makes an excellent mobile marketing strategy? Here are some tips for creating one that is effective:
- Optimize your website for mobile
- Understand buyers and segment them according to personas
- Add opt-in and opt-out options
- Be clear, concise, and respectful
- Don’t forget about local optimization to align with the target audience’s queries